Monday, January 11, 2010

Keith's Rotations

I wanted to give an update about Keith's rotations thus far. He started his med school rotations at the excellent program here in Janesville, WI about 3 weeks ago. So Far, So Good! His first rotation is OB. He has already assisted in a few live births and C-sections....which I NEVER want, BTW! (Did you know they actually take the entire uterus out of the womans' body during a C-section, ummm....way too invasive for me-I like my uterus right where it is, Thank you very much!)
He is learning things so fast and is very excited being a med student. He works with the Resident Doctors and the Attending Physicians. I see his determination and vigor as he gets up everyday at 5:30am and arrives home sometime after 6:00pm (usually). His schedule is variable at best and quite unpredictable. He is on-call about once every 5 days or so. This means he spends a 24 hour shift at the hospital. He gets paged whenever there is a new admit, something wrong with a patient, or any other matter that only a doctor must handle. Each rotation is about 6 weeks in length, so the next rotation he is scheduled for is Internal Medicine!
Below is a picture of his first day of OB rotation: (you'd think it was the first day of school!)

I wanted this post to be about my husband....but I do wish to say a bit about being the wife of a very busy husband. It has been quite challenging for me to not know when Keith will be home at night, for him to be gone for over 24 hours at a time, and to become adjusted to being a stay at home mommy. I have alot of help and support from my parents and from my husband....So THANK YOU very much for all the help you give me. It was also great to have my siblings here over the holidays, as they entertained my over-active son for much of the day, when I needed a "mommy break."

I know that this situation is only temporary, with Keith being a med student, but I have to realize the fact that it could be the exact same when he is in residency and becomes a doctor. The crazy hours. The unpredictable schedule. Ect. Ect. I guess I am going through the process of accepting that fact at the moment. I have to admit it is hard to swallow at times. But, I then I think of how happy I am that Keith is doing something that he loves and is helping the greater good of this world, not to mention being able to provide a good and responsible living for his family.....all are things I appreciate very much.

2 comments:

Smart Family said...

Oh boy! I have empathy for and with you! If you need anythng....company....a playdate...Iam always here and probably need the same thing. Hang in there. Be grateful for all the family support you do have.

Draper's said...

Look at how cute my cousin is!! Keith you look great as a doctor!! Congrats!! Leslie, you are an awesome & supportive wife!!