I figured that Stryder is due for a bloggy update, and since he's 18 months TODAY, it is quite fitting! Our Stryder is full of life, hyperactivity, and glee. He exudes happiness in his easy smile and loud laugh. He knows no strangers and will walk up to anyone and be his friendly self. He loves playing outside. His newest love is Grandpa's tennis racket and throwing tennis balls across the lawn.
He loves the park, the slide, the swings, and the sandbox. He has an enormous appetite and will eat pretty much anything, even bugs (don't ask!) He is has acquired many adult tastes, like pickles, mustard, and pepperjack cheese. He uses a toddler spork when eating and is a pro drinking from a sippy cup. He loves his daddy right now. His mommy is beginning to feel like chopped liver when daddy is around :-) Stryder is a great big brother. He will give Krew kisses and when he is crying, Stryder will try to put the bottle in his mouth. He also loves playing with other kids. He also enjoys his naptimes, usually. This is the only time we allow his to have his binky, which he is still quite fond of. But he is growing up to be such a big boy, binky and all! He has an infactuation with sports. We recently took him to the Brewers baseball game and he was completely enthralled!
Stryder doesn't say too much with his mouth; but he says a lot with his hands. He has learned some sign language (remember my obessions with teaching him Baby Signs?) and he signs to communicate with us. Lately, he has been signing sentences (like "more drink, please.") Here are a couple of short videos of him using some of his signs:
(BTW-Please don't judge me for putting my 27 pound child in a Johnny Jump Up...this is the ONLY way I can get him to perform for the camera!)
I have debated whether or not to post my thoughts and feelings regarding this topic. But since all of you are trusted friends and family, I feel comfortable enough to do so. I am happy that he communicates this way, but as a mother, I would be lying if I didn't say I was concerned that he is not using words as of yet. But his pediatrician has assured me that some kids are just late talkers. Nevertheless, we are going to have a speech evaluation done in the next month, also recommended by his pediatrician. My hope is that Stryder will have an explosion of language (and not the sign kind) in the next few months. Have any of you had a late-talkers? Do you have any tips or advice? Stryder can pick up a new sign in a matter of a few days, which may be why talking (something newer and more difficult for him) may not be on his radar right now.
Me: "Stryder can you say Mama?"
Stryder: Crickets chirping...Blank stare...Me: "Stryder can you say Dada?"
Stryder: More crickets....Even blanker stare....
Me: "Can you say dog?"
Stryder: Makes the baby sign for "dog," by panting with his tongue hanging out.
Me: "How about baby?" Stryder: Makes the sign for baby, by cradling his arms, then smiles and waits for my praise.
So you see what I'm up against?! The other day, we were at Target and he started doing the sign for dog. I smiled and just thought he wanted my attention, but then I saw a picture of the Target dog, Spot. I said, "Good job, buddy, that's a doggy!" He smiled at my acknowledgement, so I know he understands every word I say. Another rather curious fact is that he will make the sounds that animals say. Like I'll ask him what a cat says and he'll reply "EOW", which is "meow" without the "M". His voice even fluctuates when he says it! He can even do the baby sign for "hot", which is just the "H" sound. And, get this, he will also sing the "E, I, E, I, Oh" part of Old MacDonald Had A Farm. What?
We are truly so blessed to have Stryder as our son. He is literally a ray of light in our lives. He makes everyone around him smile. His happy countenance is contagious. I am so grateful to be his mom :-)












1 comment:
Ben didn't really talk until almost 2, and there wasn't a word explosion until after 3. My personal opinion in the matter is that he feels he doesn't need to talk because he's already communicating. It'll come but it is also natural to be worries with the first one. I'm sure all is fine and he'll start talking and then he won't stop - at least that's how Ben is.
Post a Comment