Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Fourth Filled With Fun

Independence Day! The fireworks. The fun. The freedom! How lucky we are that we could spend this day together as a family. We asked around and most people told us that the Bayside Pier was the place to go for a great fireworks show. We went out to breakfast (IHOP is fantastic) and Keith actually suggested that we get matching outfits for the fourth. We went to Old Navy, home of the patriotic five dollar shirt and found matching shirts for each of us, even Stryder! I know its dorky, and before I became a mother I vowed that I'd never do that, but it was so cute that my husband wanted to that I thought 'I have a great family, why not?' We went to Bayside around 7pm and thought we were really going to have a difficult time trying to find parking, but it really wasn't too bad. (The worst part was trying to find our way out of the parking garage once we parked. Don't Ask!) I noticed as we walked to the pier it wasn't as crowded as I had expected, furthermore not many people were even wearing red, white, and blue. Keith and I noted the lack of patriotism among the crowd, which made me ponder as to why. It turned my thoughts to why I feel so patriotic to my country and my experiences living abroad. Words can't express my gratitude for our freedoms, the conveniences, the simplicity of our lives here in the United States of America. Everyday, I enjoy air conditioning, a fridge full of fresh fruits and vegetables, clean running water to drink and bathe in, and immediate electricity without fail. I have lived in places in which these simple luxuries do not exist. My appreciation for this country is not so careless anymore, it runs much more deep within me as I have an insightful reverence for America that ironically blossomed from not living in America. It upsets me when people do not show respect for our beautiful and unique country. I am blessed with knowing how much my Heavenly Father has given me as an American citizen and will always wear my red, white and blue proudly.
Stryder loves his Independence Day outfits!Getting ready for the festivities!
"Proud to be an American."

The venue of the Miami's fireworks. It is the Bayside Pier in downtown Miami.

Tom, Keith, and Stryder. (Even Tom was dressed patriotically and he's Canadian ;-)

Mommy and Stryder watching the fireworks.....Stryder loved them!

The matching patriotic family!

2 comments:

Jen said...

glad you guys had a fun Holiday! Cute pictures :)

Steph said...

YOur baby is so cute! Love those blue eyes :)